A swimmer in south Florida has been infected by brain-eating amoeba, ABC News reports.
The Florida Health Department confirmed the case after the swimmer spent time in unsanitary water on private property in Broward County. The infected person, whose age, name and gender have not been released, is being treated at a local hospital.
The amoeba’s scientific name is Naegleria fowlerii. It can cause a rare and devastating infection of the brain, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
People are usually infected when amoeba enters their nose, and it is most often found in warm freshwater, according to the CDC. The infection caused by the organism is extremely fatal. Of the 138 individuals infected in the United States from 1962 to 2015, only three survived.
This case in Florida comes days after an 11-year-old girl died from the amoeba after she swam in a river in South Carolina.
After Clicking on One of the Links Below, Just CLICK the "Click Here to Agree and Continue" Button in the "Informed Consent and Participation Agreement" Form... to Begin Your Own Personal Q & A Session on How Laminine and Laminine Omega +++ Can Help You Achieve PERFECT Health.