In a four-week clinical study, Dr. Edward Andujar and Dr. Hitendra Shah evaluated a group of volunteer subjects at the Wellness Medical Clinic in Diamond Bar, California. The volunteer subjects showed an improvement in several indicators of gut health following four weeks of supplementation with two Gut Health Supplement DIGESTIVE+++ capsules and two Laminine capsules taken daily.
The subjects were asked to refrain from using other supplements prior to the study and provided the doctors with initial baseline stool samples. Data from the Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis (Genova Diagnostics, Asheville, North Carolina) showed a substantial improvement in total Short Chain Fatty Acids (SCFAs) and butyrate production. The increase of these components is a definite indicator that the gut is reestablishing a healthier microbiome making Digestive++ the best Supplement For Gut Health. Good probiotics are fermenting unabsorbed dietary fiber, which supports many factors relating to gut health.
Short Chain Fatty Acids (butyrate, acetate, and propionate) are produced by the anaerobic (absence of air) bacterial fermentation of primarily non-absorbed dietary fiber. They serve several important functions, including:
- Provide energy for cells lining the digestive tract.
- Act as an anti-diarrheal agent by removing sodium and water from the colon.
- Improve colonic blood flow.
- Deter the colonization of pathogens in the bowel.
- Provide 5-30 percent of systemic daily energy requirements.
- Reduce ammonia uptake from the intestine.
DIGESTIVE+++ And Laminine Consumption Enhance Butyrate Production – Butyrate is the preferred substrate for colon cells, assisting in the maintenance of colonic integrity. Butyrate helps prevent mutations in colon cells by stimulating healthy cellular growth and reducing DNA damage.
Butyrate Supports Reduced Inflammation of The Bowel – During the four-week study, butyrate had a supporting role in reducing inflammation of the bowel. Butyrate acts as good fuel for the cells lining the colon and keeps them properly nourished.
Supplements For Gut Health can protect against inflammation and tears forming in the gut lining. In certain imbalances of the colon and GI tract, butyrate has been shown to decrease markers of inflammation. People that experience bowel irritation conditions (especially those that may include mild diarrhea) tend to have lower total SCFAs.
6 Ways to Increase SCFA Levels
Low levels of total SCFAs or butyrate can be increased by:
- Larch arabinogalactans (a fiber that ferments in the intestine).
- Normalization of pH-levels (In the GI tract, SCFA production is higher when the colonic pH is between 5-8).
- Normalization of transit time. (Chronically slow transit time can lead to bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine and high SCFAs; very rapid transit time can also lead to high SCFAs).
- Consuming prebiotics and probiotics such as fructooligosaccharides and Bacillus coagulans (found in the DIGESTIVE+++ formula). Bacillus coagulans is a Lactobacillus bacteria that produces lactic acid. It acts as a substrate for other gut bacteria that ferment it into SCFAs.
- Butyric acid (oral or rectal).
What Dietary Fibers Are Most Effective?
In general, the more slowly fermented (insoluble) forms of fiber maintain low pH and raise SCFAs along the entire length of the bowel. While both soluble and insoluble fiber foods are important for health, insoluble fiber passes through our intestines largely intact and becomes fuel for good bacteria in the colon. It also supports Butyrate production, one of the best fuels to support gut health.
In conclusion, supplementing with Laminine and DIGESTIVE+++ products from LifePharm showed indication that short-chain fatty acids (especially butyrate, the most beneficial) are being increased over a relatively short time.
The formula created by LifePharm for a probiotic, prebiotic, and digestive enzyme product was formulated with science-based trials evaluating each selected ingredient. Taking DIGESTIVE+++ and Laminine as directed is a very positive intervention to support the optimal digestive tract and colon health.